Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tetsudai-san? = pembantu

Ah....over the same thing again.

Yesterday I went shopping with my friend Tomomi and her kids. While she brought her crying baby to the drugstore, I went to the vegetable shop bringing his 3 years old boy. I think it would save time and the crying baby could get his milk sooner.

Aki-kun, Tomomi little boy likes to talk so while I picked up some veggies he talked to the shop owner. And when I paid them all she asked me if I were Aki's mom's daughter. Which I quickly said no LOL. I was quite flattered. Do I look that cute and young?

But then she continued asking: so, are you tetsudai-san? (MAID)

I just looked at her, and answered sharply NO! I'm his mom's friend!

Ah.......

I don't know how to react anymore haha. In Korea, and here in Japan people thought I'm a maid! Even in my own country though in Indonesia I know its just people judgment towards those marrying foreigner - well, am sure not happen to everyone though - and I envy you if you don't :(

I seriously am questioning myself if I do really look like a maid, or its just narrow minded and racist people's judgement over asian living in their country.

I thought taking care of my appearance will help, but now I'm afraid if I dressed up more 'nicely' people will think I work in a bar in Ikebukuro (@_@)

-Happened yesterday, just when I started enjoying myself here, and during my most hateful period of PMS!!! Really a huge kick to my mood-

4 comments:

LadyNoor said...

Huh nyebelin sekali deh manusia2 rasis itu!!

Menurutku sih karena itu budaya asia. Pikirnya yg berkulit gelap itu pasti dari kelas sosial bawah.

I've never had that experience having lived in Sydney for more than 8 years, but as soon as I'm in Asia, i.e. Singapore, Jakarta, langsung deh dianggap pembantu. Di Spore orang Philippine ngajak aku ngomong tagalog disangkanya aku gendong anak Cina, lah padahal itu anakku sendiri... Di Jakarta disangkanya aku kawin sama bule makanya bisa tinggal di negara bule, trus Asep selalu disangka TKI karena bisa bawa2 credit card luar negeri..

Honestly, WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!!!!

It's not you Moet, it's them! And you happen to be where they are more often than me so you get these experiences more...

Carla Chanliau said...

ah yeah all the gaps... tapi LadyinRed, di Bali bule2 juga pada ikutan lho. Suatu hari aku makan malam sama cowokku, kakaknya dan teman2 kakaknya. Mereka bawa anak kecil umur 5 tahunan gitu. Anak itu nangis ngeliat aku karena dikira pembantunya dan pembantunya ternyata suka marahin dia. Kalo adat kita kan ya biarin aja ya, ga usah diperjelas. Wong aku ya nggak ngerti pertamanya kalo si tikus kecil itu takut lihat aku. Aku nggak ngerti mereka ngomong apa pake bahasanya yg mustahil itu. Eh malah dijelasin panjang lebar. pengen tak lempar pastaku ke muka orang tuanya. tapi eman.

Mbak'e said...

walah Moet, pasti yang bilang kamu tetsudai san itu matanya katarak, ndak bisa lihat orang deh. Jangan dimasukkin ke ati, anggap angin lalu aja....

imoet said...

Yeah I think its the dark skin racism! Coba yang kulit putih ama mata sipit, kira kira pernah gak ya dikira pembantu ato baby sitter?!?

Thank you ladies, your comments make me feel much much better. And as the PMS period went away, my self confidence came back in hahaha. Who cares now? I'm proud of myself with my dark skin, and eventhough racist people look down on me, I LOOK DOWN on them to have such thoughts ;-)

Carla, kamu gak bilang apa2 ortunya si tikus itu? nek hiro denger langsung didepannya, pasti didamprat LOL

Mbak'e,
Thanks ya. Emang obaachan, udah tua, mungkin beneran katarak hahahah