Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Visiting a Japanese Family

While drinking together with Hiro’s colleagues, half drunk, we got sudden invitation to visit Miyamoto’s family at Wakayama.
He called his wife to prepare things, and flied first to Osaka. After continuing drinking for a while Hiro and I took a Shinkansen to Osaka.

It took 2.5 hours to Osaka. First I thought it was the end of the journey. BUT……Hiro bought another tickets!!! There was another hour by express train to Wakayama!!!

At last we arrived at about 1:00 AM, and drinking again till 4:00 AM. Miyamoto’s wife prepared everything since we didn’t bring any spare cloth. From toothbrushes, pajamas, night cream, cleanser, stocking, until underwear!!!

Another different habit, Japanese always take a bath before sleeping. How could I take a bath in a very drunk condition? Hiro saved me by telling them that an Indonesian would get sick taking bath in the middle of night hehehe. An excuse I always told him to get rid of taking a bath midnight (^_-).

It was quite an experience for me. A new experience. If a friend visited me, I just asked her to help herself. Showed her my cupboard and let her find everything available there. Always that way.

At my last day in Tokyo, Hiro bought me a book titled Japanese Family & Culture. There I read: "It is slightly bad form to arrive without a gift. Something from your own country is ideal. No need to go to great expense...."

WHAT?!?! I didn't bring any!!! OOPPPSSSSS

No comments: